St Mary’s History


Back in 1872 the Rev. James McManus was pastor when it was founded, first building the old church in Fulton St, the present church and the parochial residence.  For 67 years St. Mary’s had only three pastors, each making a distinguished contribution to its development.


Succeeded by Rev. Michael O’Dwyer in 1880, he built the present school and convent.


All debt was paid off in 1907, the property was improved and enlarged.  St Mary’s to over 4 acres.

Elmira Roman Catholic Churches

1010 Davis Street, Elmira, NY  14901


Phone: (607) 733-3484

Fax (607) 846-3371